Friday, December 31, 2010

That's a wrap...

It is always entertaining to pause and think about the year that has unfolded before me. 2010 started out with a bang with me completing the Walt Disney World Marathon with my dad in January. Not to mention the great time we had at Disney too... then the world was quiet for a bit until I had some odd high blood pressure drama that left us perplexed and landed me in the ER for a bit...followed by a series of appts at Mayo clinic to diagnose me with well, nothing other than MS. I endured a new brain lesion with my MS and some new symptoms have popped up here and there including some pretty extreme forgetfulness! Sometimes I can't remember people's names at church even! A bit embarassing but I am managing just fine. We waited patiently for Mother Nature to grace us with her presence in Minnesota and give us some sunshine. We made it up to the cabin several times this summer and that was indeed a highlight. An equal low was my step mom Jan being diagnosed with breast cancer at the end of July. It seemed as though the remainder of the year has been a bit of a blur since her diagnosis. My folks traveled to Mayo for appts and I put my working knowledge of all things cancer to the test and went to most all of the appts expanding my own understanding of cancer and the field I have devoted myself too. We cancelled our annual trip to the Blueberry festival in Michigan since Jan had just had surgery and I looked forward to seeing my family in October to ring in my 30th birthday. Yikes. 30. I must say I never really looked to accomplish much in life other than marriage and motherhood and so far both of those are pretty good for me. Everything else has either been a blessing or a boulder in my life. Don't worry, it's way more blessings than boulders for sure.

Oh and did I mention I have a kindergartener now? That has been a real adjustment, not just for her but for me as well. The purse strings had to be loosened and I let Anna into the world to learn for herself and be exposed to life outside my control. Believe me, this has been a true adjustment. I know it has been challenging for her to see how everyone is not the same but at the time she has maintained her sweet innocence and I plan to treasure that as long as I can. I have adjusted better than expected too I would say. After I got over the initial fear of not being able to control her every encounter, I have greatly enjoyed watching her learn and grow so far this year. She is starting to read, loves to do stories and enjoys math. I really like her teacher and that definitely helps mom relax. I got to be a helper in her class for the fall party and it was really fun because it reminded me of my mom and how much I loved her. Some days I just look at Anna and want to freeze time. I imagine what my mom must have felt having me as a daughter and not knowing that she only had four years left with me before cancer would defeat her.

And then there's Emma. My eternal baby. Don't worry I am not complaining... I actually quite enjoy having her as my cuddle bug who loves her blanket and sucks her thumb. She is quite small compared to her sister and wears a lot of 2T clothes still even though she is 3 1/2 now! My peanut she is. She has an awesome sense of compassion and she is the caregiver in the family for sure, she gets that from her daddy. She adores her sister 99% of the time and argues with her the other 1% of the time. The girls get along remarkably well and I am very happy with their age difference. Only time will tell how they handle the teenage years.

Adam's job has remained stable despite the ever fluctuating automotive industry. We have been very blessed to have maintained our lives and our home throughout these unpredictable times. We enjoy the occasional date night and really just have fun being a family.

My M.S. has been stable this year with no actual episodes in 2010. A statistic my doctors didn't expect. They predicted I would have another attack in 2010 as the disease is most active in the first three years. Well here we are on the eve of 2011 and no attack in sight. I am grateful for the dormant nature of my condition and hope that it maintains this mild course until there is a cure that is... I am no longer doing daily injections. Some may say it is a risky endeavor but a risk, I decided was worth it. Time will tell if the decision was a wise one as I go back at the end of 2011 for a visit with my MS team at Mayo Clinic.

My work has been great this year with a significant promotion in October that opened up an opportunity to lead our Patient services team for our division. I am adjusting to the stresses of my new role but feel an immense amount of gratification for the opportunity to work with such compassionate people and touch the lives of cancer patients and their families on a daily basis.

So as we launch into 2011, I wish for a year of health, stability and happiness for all who read this and all who don't. My heart is filled with joy and love for those who I get to encounter in life and those I have yet to meet. God has guided the path of my life to this point and I am grateful for the bounty of blessings I have received. I hope you can reflect with joy on the year 2010 and look forward with anticipation to the joy that is ahead in 2011.

2 Comments:

Blogger T.E. Minter said...

Jaime, you wrote that very eloquently. I loved reading it! I'm sorry for your MS. We seem so young to struggle with something that deep and destructive. Your children are beautiful (sounds like inside, as well as out). I'm sure they will bring much joy to you and your husband this coming year. Congrats on the promotion! Many blessings be to you and your family in 2011. Love you, Traci.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Jaime, that is beautiful! You brought tears to my eyes several times with your words and thoughts. You have a beautiful life and the work you do deeply matters in this world. You are a blessing. Thanks for sharing your year!

May God bless you in 2011, my sweet friend,
Sara

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home